The Victorian wing of Bishopshalt School in Royal Lane, Hillingdon is a grade III listed building In the Hillingdon Village Conservation Area. It was built as a private house in 1858 by John Jackson, a partner in the building firm of George Jackson & Sons based in Rathbone Place, Oxford Street. His company specialised in plasterwork and interior decoration and they are still in business today! One of the outstanding features of the house was a conservatory with a cast-iron frame, and (as the photograph shows) this has recently been restored. Earlier houses on the site had belonged to the bishops of Worcester, who were the rectors of Hillingdon. In medieval times the bishops stayed there on their way to and from London. John Jackson called his new home the Rectory House, but a later owner re-named it Bishopshalt.The property was purchased by the Middlesex Education Committee in 1925, and alterations and additions were then made. Uxbridge County School, which had earlier been based in the Greenway, Uxbridge, moved to the premises in 1928. Two years later the school was re-named Bishopshalt School.